Old cruft

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Dec 9 04:40:55 UTC 2017

On 12/08/2017 09:20 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> By Debian rules, ulness you do some sort of over-ride, '.waf install'
> should never, ever, install into dist-packages.

You're still misunderstanding. Debian has just renamed "site-packages"
to "dist-packages". They are otherwise exactly the same. If you were
prohibited from installing to dist-packages, you would not be able to
make anything work (without setting PYTHONPATH).

I don't know why you keep insisting that site-packages is not for use.
Can you cite any documentation that says you must use a custom location
and manually set PYTHONPATH?

As always, you should not install into /usr, but install to /usr/local.

For a prefix=/usr/local, I'm saying you should install to...

Standard:
/usr/local/pythonX.Y/site-packages

Debian:
/usr/local/pythonX.Y/dist-packages

If we simply remove the fix_python_config.py hack, everything should
Just Work (as above), except on Fedora where /usr/local is not in the
default path.

That's a Fedora bug (that they said was fixed in version 27, but Hal's
experience is that it is still broken).

I've proposed adding a warning to `./waf configure` if the calculated
pythondir is not in sys.path. This will have some false positives (e.g.
when the directory doesn't exist, but will be in sys.path once it is
created), but won't have any false negatives.

The warning would instruct the user to add a .pth file to the
appropriate location, which we should be able to give them.

--
Richard