Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 9 04:00:17 UTC 2017

> Conversely, any plain '/waf install' by user/admin, from our source,=20
> should go in a place, that MUST require that location in to be in
> PYTHONPATH.

I thought that people didn't like PYTHONPATH.

Richard's local.pth suggestion works (without PYTHONPATH) on Fedora.  It
seemed like an interesting approach.  So I started testing it.

-------

Let me see if I can summarize:

We should always install
  main code to /usr/local/{bin,sbin}/
  python libraries in /usr/local/lib/pythonX,Y/site-packages/

If everybody agrees on that, then all we have to do is figure out how to make
Python look there.

PYTHONPATH does that.  So does local.pth on Fedora.