Testing

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 7 22:06:36 UTC 2017

> Even with something like a simple bug fix, some are easy to test and very
> unlikely to break anything else and some can't be tested by the fixer and
> some have potential to break something else.

That is so.  I could live with a sytem that made some sensible distinctions
along this axis.

> I'd be happy with a work flow that encouraged direct push for low-risk
> changes.  (That may turn into an endless argument about what is low-risk.)

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this crew not allowing arguments like that
to become ratholes.

> It may be that what I'm really looking for is more discussion of interesting
> changes before they get pushed.  Maybe my suggestion of a reviewer was an
> attempt to encourage discussion.  Even an email announcement without any
> actual follow on discussion would avoid surprises when doing a git pull.

Maybe just trying to have more of a social convention about announcing big
changes to devel would help, then.  I would be willing to add something like
that the the Hacking Guide.

> Is there a mailing list option that gets me the git log info as things are
> pushed?

I think so, but I don't remembert offhand where to invoke it.