Testing

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:59:21 UTC 2017

On 12/07/2017 07:43 AM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
>> How important is your individual way of doing things?  Would you be willing
>> to tolerate some inconvenience if that made the rest of us more productive?
> In principle, yes.  I'd need to be persuaded that the net was positive -
> that the rest of you got sped up more than I got slowed down.  Past
> experience makes me skeptical of such claims.

The perspective of a noob might be helpful here: Before I was allowed to
push to master I routinely had to stop work for hours (a couple times >1
day) because I needed to make a commit and there was no one around to
merge it. I am not aware of any change in my bug production rate around
the increased permissions that isn't directly attributable to generally
increased experience.

I am unsure of how "the rest of us" will be more productive if even the
noobs are randomly ground to a halt waiting.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb