Testing

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Dec 6 19:49:07 UTC 2017

Matthew Selsky via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:25:14PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
>
> > I have a different plan.  I always write doc patches as part of my
> > change commits; my discipline is to prevent code and docs from getting out
> > of sync in the first place.
>
> Does everyone on the project do that?  This "policy" isn't listed in devel/hacking.txt.  If it's a project policy, then it should be.

Good point.  I just did that.

I should have done it sooner, but this habit is so ingrained in me that
the requirement has become kind of invisible.

> We also don't have formal code reviews (before commit) since many devs push directly to "master".  So we can't enforce any policies to code before they get committed to master.
>
> At some point, maybe soonish, can we stop pushing directly to master and instead push to branches (either in the main repo, or a personal fork) and then submit MRs and go through the review/approval workflow that's built into GitLab?

What would the gain in this be?

If dev with merge-approver power pushes to a branch and then merges
it, how is the entailed risk any different from a direct push?