Preparing for a point release

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Dec 6 18:59:54 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> I'd prefer to go to an accelerated 1.1

So what exactly do you mean by "accelerated"?

> The main reason is that there isn't just one ntpq fix.  There have been a
> whole bunch of small but user-visible and irritating bugs in ntpq
> reporting since 1.0 - we had Hans Mayer from Austria reporting one
> every couple days for a while.

You could cherry-pick those commits that fix the user-facing bugs and
release that as an interim or even quick-fix.

Exactly how you're going to release the next few versions will be how
the distro folks are going to see ntpsec for a long time, so I'd think
it pays in the long run to be careful now.  BTW, as I see development
from the outside I'd suggest to use a release branch for the minor
releases and commit all clear bug fixes there (merged back to master)
rather than the current mixture of features, bug-fixes and clean-ups all
in the same branch.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: