Preparing for a point release

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 6 05:00:51 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 23:32:09 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:

> > > Because it makes life easier for overworked upstream packagers.
> > > By a "distro install" I mean one to rootspace (normally /usr)
> > > rather than /usr/local.
> >
> > How does that help anybody package things up?
> >
> > Do they have tools that extract new stuff from /usr/ and turn it
> > into a package?  Does that also get things like /etc/ntp.conf?
>
> At least in RPM-land, they like to use the package's own make install
> when possible.

I don't see how that is possible.  I'm looking at the Fedora doc
now:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

They say DO NOT install the packages as root.  So installing
into /usr is just not gonna be possible.

The aboce link specifically says to install the softwaer to be packaged
into a packaging work directory.