possible bug: peerstats

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Aug 19 21:12:43 UTC 2017

> Maybe.  On the other hand, Classic mode wouldn't actually buy them much. The
> only scripts a typical leaf-node installation runs come right out of the NTP
> source tree themselves, and ours do the right thing.

Would it be better if we changed that to a run time decision rather than
build time?

I'm assuming that all the input cases will take either format.

With the decision at build time, a distro has to make a choice.  If they use
the default as you expect, then they screw all their users who do have their
own scripts.  Does anybody even know how big that set is?  It's probably
small, but they are also the ones we want to switch to using our code.

> Yeah, sorry about that.  We thought long and hard about this change, and
> concluded it was necessary in order to server ntpd from its IPv4
> assumptions.  For people who can't live with that, there's
> --enable-classic-mode.

I've never understood the IPv4 logic in that area.  It might make a good
story for a blog.