State of the blocker bug
Eric S. Raymond
esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Aug 16 19:30:21 UTC 2017
Our one blocker bug hasn't yet been stomped, but it's been cornered. We
now understand much more about the problem.
It was introduced by Hal's attempt to clean up DNS handling for pool
queries on May 14th. It seems to affect only pool queries - I don't
think it can bite if you give an explicit server name. The symptom is
that time to first sync blows up from tens of seconds to hundreds.
I tried to come out with a patch to back out Hal's change, but mine
only reduces time to first sync by x2, not x10. I don't think my
patch is quite right.
While working on this, we've found that the iburst flag seems to be a no-op.
Entire bug thread is here:
<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>
The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very thing
that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.
-- Frederick Bastiat
More information about the devel