Is restrict broken?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Aug 15 18:59:28 UTC 2017

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> Should this work?
>   restrict default limited nomodify nopeer noquery
>   restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
>   restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> ntpwait times out.  It works when they are commented out.
>
> I haven't investigated.  I'm trying to catch up after a two week break.  I'm
> pretty sure it used to work but it could easily be something stupid on my
> end.  I haven't tried bisecting.

It is just possible that I broke restrict this morning at

e7a4b0d3cf8932feeb898ed1343f25e8e65688d9
Address GitLab issue #356: reverse function for restrict

I tested it, but it could be I screwed up the test.  On the other hand,
my instance is running just fine.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.