pool and restrictions

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Aug 15 17:23:02 UTC 2017

Hal Murray write:
> When the pool mode adds a server, if needed, it pokes a hole in the
> restrictions.
>
> We need to remove that hole when that server is removed.

Fair enough.  I have an idea for a simple way to implement this.  But
I can't find where the hole-poking is actually being done - it's
apparently not via a hack_restrict() call, which is what I'd have
expected.  Can you give me a file and line number?

> I think we need to add a new flag to indicate that the restrict slot was
> automatically added.
>
> Maybe we should add another flag to disable poking holes.  Maybe it's an
> enhancement rather than bug fix, but this would be the time to do it.

I'm generally opposed to adding more interface knobs.  The
configuration language is tricky enough as it is.  Why do you think
we might need one?

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as
necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
	-- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787