Testing, 1.0, startup time

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Aug 9 08:37:11 UTC 2017

> One of the things we need to verify is that our code starts as fast as ntp
> clsssic. I  think they get going in 11 seconds.  It's on their web someplace.
>
> I don't know how to easily automate that.  A hack to scan log files might
> help.

Watching ntpmon, timing it to see when the first peer goes to '*' status,
might do it.

> This may be the tip of an iceberg, but I can't think of any other examples.

We have a pending bug about that: #347.  The state of play two weeks
ago, before I went on vacation, seemed to be that sartup time has
slowed recently. Mat Nordoff's comment was: "Sounds like the
[slowdown] bug was introduced after 0.9.7."

I seem to recall that you were worried about your DNS-lookup changes
slowing startup. Were you able to put that concern to rest?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.