Time to plan for 1.0

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Aug 8 14:01:30 UTC 2017

Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> I was already on the verge of calling it, given the above I am now
> Officially Calling SNMP support as slipping past 1.0.

Strictly speaking you can't do that.  It's the PM's decision whether
we want to drop the feature or change the schedule.  We're pretty informal
here, but you need to know where those lines of authority are, because
many other projects (especially in corporate-land) aren't.

But, speaking in Mark's absence, I'm OK with slipping it.  It's not
like Classic had this right; their snmpd was broken by design (not
RFC-conformant) and in fact its author urged me to remove it.

I think our support can wait for 1.1.  Possibly Mark might do an
override on this, but I doubt it.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.