More SNMP dependency questions, also assertions.

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 21:17:29 UTC 2017

assert: the daemon name should be ntpsnmpd

assert: both ipv4 and ipv6 should be implemented
assert: if both exist, they should be bound at the same time

assert: the port(s) should be choosable

SNMP version / security

According to RFC-5907 it is Recommended to use SNMPv3 and it's security
features, and use of previous versions of SNMP is Not Recommended. Since
NTPsec is about security and removing / not adding unnecessary complexity,
these Recommendations will be treated as Requirements, and only SNMPv3 will
be implemented.

assert: security should be optional

Dependencies: pysnmp, pysmi, python-daemon

The need for pysnmp is obvious, and has already been discussed. pysmi is by
the same author, and is an MIB compiler for pysnmp.

python-daemon is an implementation of PEP 3143. According to the PEP and
other
info getting a daemon right is finicky, python-daemon exists to handle that.
It is currently on version 2.1.2, and listed as "Production/Stable" dev
status
in the package index, so it has a low probability of existence failure.

Given the description of Proper Daemon Behavior as "fiddly", my
inexperience,
and NTPsec's interest in reducing complexity where possible I believe the
addition of /another/ dependency is justified.

--
In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power?
No. A Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys. -- Andrew Ryan