Pivoting (or rather missing pivot)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 27 09:53:37 UTC 2017

Gary said:
> Stuck in a time warp again.  Not relevant to the bad reversion.  I'm not
> gonna go down that rabbit hole until we get this very narrow problem dealt
> with.

Which problem do you think we are discussing?

> We have a well bounded problem with 2 inputs and 1 output.  No need for
> external info to know if this function does what it is supposed to do: step
> the clock by double.

step_system works as you describe it.  The problem is that it is being fed
bad data.

The code Eric reverted does a pivot.  Right?  We agree that the code is ugly.
 You claim it is not necessary.  All you have to do to get me to tell Eric it
is not needed is show me where the pivot does take place.

All the pivots are based on BUILD_EPOCH.  Right?  It's only used by
ntpcal_get_build_date()

ntpcal_get_build_date() is called from ntpd/refclock_nmea,
ntpd/refclock_magnavox, and libntp/systime

So unless I'm missing amd/or missed something, there is no pivot that covers
l_fp data from NTP packets other than the one in step_systime()