Pivoting

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Apr 26 19:19:04 UTC 2017

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> We can't fix *that*, either.  All we can do is add a warning to the man pages
> for NMEA-related drivers that if your GPS is older than 1024 weeks you may be
> cruising for a bruising.  I think I'll go do that.

Well, the more I think about it, I'd say we should rip out any
half-baked stopgaps from ntpd and just document that a) the system time
at startup of ntpd needs to be reasonably close to true time (exact
numbers for "reasonable" vary with whether time stepping is allowed or
not) and b) any primary reference clock must not by lying about the time
either.  Unless the two conditions are satisfied ntpd can not be
expected to converge to the correct time.

Some of the stopgap measures might be pulled out into additional
utilities that can be used to test or fulfill the two conditions.

There may be further conditions past the two I mentioned.

Regardsm
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html