Pivoting (or rather missing pivot)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 26 07:52:27 UTC 2017

> Different code path.

OK, I'm missing something.

Eric restored the pivot code that we don't like to step_systime()

How does the first step happen without going through there?  and/or how does
the first step get turned into the right size double without a pivot and/or
where does that pivot happen?

>From your second message:
> Yes, but when we subtract from our local time, truncated to an l_fp, and 2s
> complement, we end up with a delta on local time.  Once  we get runnning,
> any delta past 'gate' is thrown away.  That gate, by default is just 1,000
> seconds.

> So. after the first big correction, we KNOW the delta is 1,000 seconds or
> less and 2s complement arithmetic over the epoch rollever is fine.

The question is how does the first big correction work?

Your analysis covers the no-big-step case.  I called that: system time is
"close enough".