Pivoting

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Apr 25 23:08:57 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 18:59:44 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:
> >
> > esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > > We can't fix *that*, either.  All we can do is add a warning to
> > > the man pages for NMEA-related drivers that if your GPS is older
> > > than 1024 weeks you may be cruising for a bruising.  I think I'll
> > > go do that.
> >
> > We need to find out when they added the 3 extra bits.
>
> That is messy.  IIRC they came in with the Block III version of the
> sats, but (a) I think Block IIs are still flying, and (b) we don't
> know whether or when receiver firmware has been updated by anybody.
> Of course this is never documented.

I think only some Block II output CNAV, and only then on the L2 and L5
bands which are not used in consumer GPS.

You GPS only needs to get a CNAV message now and again to know the
proper GPS epoch, so you only need a few birds transmitting it.

Until there are a lot of Block III's in service I do not expec to see
any L1C band GPS.