Errors and warnings from head

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 25 07:24:49 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
>> Debian wheezy:
>> ../../ntpd/ntp_config.c:2955:2: warning: implicit declaration of
>> function =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=CB=9Cyyparse=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2 [-Wimplicit=
>> -function-declaration]
>> ../../ntpd/ntp_config.c:3020:2: error: =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=CB=9Cyydebug=C3=A2=
>> =E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2 undeclared
>> (first use in this function)

> Do you have --enable-warnings on?  Known upstream Bison bug.

I don't think so.  I do have --enable-debug and --enable-debug-gdb
The yydebug error is conditional on DEBUG, but I've been using that for ages
without problems.  (It used to default to on, right?)

I might have missed the yyparse warning but that seems unlikely.

-----

>> NetBSD 7:
>> ../../ntpfrob/tickadj.c:30:6: warning: function might be candidate
>> for attribute 'noreturn' [-Wsuggest-attribute=3Dnoreturn]
>> HAVE_ADJTIMEX is not defined so it does an unconditional exit(1)

> That is a new one.  I guess related to your earlier no adjtimex() bug on
> NetBSD.  Have you creaated an issue fpr the adjtimex() thing yet?

I can't find my earlier adjtimex on NetBSD comments to sort out what I said.

It's not on FreeBSD either.

Is devel exposed to google?  It found stuff on gitlab, but no hits on a mail
archive.

It's the corner of ntpfrob that adjusts "tick".
       -a tick
           Set the kernel variable tick to the value tick specifies.
       -A
           Display the kernel variable tick.
At first, I was thinking that was the drift rate which we could set some
other way.  But the -A option says things like
  tick = 10000
If that's microseconds, that would be 100 Hz, a reasonable number but not
very interesting on a NO_HZ system.

I think we can fix it by preferring ntp_adjtimex and trying adjtimex if
that's not available.  We can copy the ideas from the mainline ntpd routines,
maybe libntp/clockwork.c