Refclocks and formatting

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Apr 23 19:01:59 UTC 2017

Ian Bruene <ianbruene at gmail.com>:
> >The real problem is that this is just the tip of an iceberg.  I'm sure there
> >will be other fixes we want to make that are not backward compatible.  Is
> >shipping both a good general policy?
>
> This sounds like something for post-1.0, in fact I had already decided to
> leave the statustoa problem until
> after SNMP is implemented. It works, it's just ugly.

Actually, I'd *rather* roll out incompatibilities in 1.0 if we're going to
have them at all.

Better to present people with one clean break and truthfully promise
stability afterwards than to have an indefinitely continuing series of
breakages.

Of course, we need a strong justification for each one.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.