Pivoting

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Apr 22 22:41:56 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> Yo Hal!
>
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:09:18 -0700
> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>
> > The code in step_systime() is really really ugly.  (to my eye)
>
> Look at how it was, before Eric reverted my code.  I think that
> is clean, but further suggestions welcome.  Eric asked no on e touch
> that until he reviewed it again.

It is indeed extremely ugly.  We inherited that, and as has been already
demonsteated attempting to fix it is risky.  I pan to do some refactoring
that will at least reduce the ugliness.

> > It starts by computing the pivot.  It gets the build time as a broken
> > down struct, subtracts 10 years, converts back to a time_t.  All that
> > can be precomputed.
>
> And unnecessary.

Probably.  But we need to be solw and careful here.

> > Does the 10 year step back make any sense?
>
> What ten yeaer step back?

I don't see that either.  Have you noticed someting we didn't?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.