Pivoting

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Apr 22 06:22:33 UTC 2017

ianbruene at gmail.com said:
> 19:14 <ianbruene> One should always put a multiplier on one's
> estimate of how long their code will be in use: code expected to
> last for 5 years lasting 20 got us Y2K. ...

Right.  I think there are two issues tangled up here.

One is that there is a tradeoff between building in a long lifetime and
catching problems during a normal lifetime.  I'm not sure which is more
likely.  Consider what happens if a server gets fired up with a broken clock
and starts answering all requests with 1970.  Do you want to reject that, or
pivot it to 2036?

The other is that there really is a 20 year rollover with old GPS units.
(Newer units have 13 bits.)  I think that turns into 3 choices:
  Don't support really old GPS units.
  Advertise the default lifetime.
  Allow the user to specify the pivot time and/or life time, either at build
time or at run time or both.

---------

How long have computers been used in cars?  When did they start using
software complicated enough to support a system time-of-day clock?  What's
their track record for long lifetime bugs?