32 bit time_t

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Apr 20 07:50:29 UTC 2017

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at Nexgo.DE>:
> Am 19.04.2017 um 20:38 schrieb Gary E. Miller:
> >Gentoo stable on RasPi has 32 bit time_t:
> >
> >Checking sizeof long                                            : 4
> >Checking sizeof time_t (time.h)                                 : 4
>
> This is a 32bit glibc based system, so this means you didn't ask for a 64bit
> time_t, then.  Here's that link again that tells you how glibc handles this:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Y2038ProofnessDesign
>
> The Linux kernel itself is not Y2038 clean yet, AFAIK.  But that's no excuse
> for applications to skimp there.

We need to stick to POSIX entry points.  Is there a directive we can give GCC
that tells it to map to the 64-bit versions, if available?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.