_DATE__, version string, and distros

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 18 23:50:00 UTC 2017

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Interesting idea.  But I don't see how it solves our problem unless we can
> count on every packager to set this variable.  Which ones do?

I think we can do that without help from the packaging environment.  We can
put our release date into a git controled file and use that as a default.

The one line python code would use that file or SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH if it is in
the environment.

I can get my updated build date by having a script update that file.  I'll
have to git checkout that file to undo those edits when I want to commit
something.  I can live with that.