32 bit time_t

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 18 21:34:55 UTC 2017

> The integral part of timespec is time_t which has been 64-bit *even on
> 32-bit Linuxes* for, what is it, close to 20 years now?

Are you sure?

It's only 32 bits on Raspberry Pi and Fedora i386 and Debian ppc

It's 32 bits on FreeBSD i386 and powerpc
It's 64 bits on NetBSD i386

> I am prepared to assume that by 2038 we will be able to put in a config test
> that barfs on 32-bit time_t without causing a ripple.

We need to put that test in well before 2038 or somebody will build it a few
years before and expect it to work for another dozen years.

Is there any reason not to put it in now as a warning?