_DATE__, version string, and distros

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 18 04:25:42 UTC 2017

>> So the second step is to add a way to override the time stamp from
>> autorevision.  That will also solve my problem of getting useful info
>> from the version string.

> Debug mode only?

There already is too much tangled up with debug.

I've been assuming it would be a new option.

>> If we don't want to break the build-repro guarantee, we
>> have to put the new date into a file or update the last
>>commit date.
> commit date is fine.

Commit date alone doesn't solve my problem.  I want an option that shows that
I've made some edits that aren't committed.  I could put an exit+commit for a
dummy file into a script, but then I couldn't ever push anything without
trashing the master repo.

Maybe git can handle that case.  If so, I need a lesson.