Version Strings - doesn't show recent edits

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Apr 16 09:15:21 UTC 2017

I consider the current setup to be close to useless.  If I go through the
typical edit, build, test cycle, the string doesn't get updated so I can't
tell if I'm running the version from git or something with local
modifications.

I gather there is a constraint from distros.  They want the binaries they
ship to be identical to what you would get it you pulled their sources and
built your own.  That means we can't use __DATE__ or __TIME__.

Will the distros be happy if we have a configure option (default off) to use
the build time?

------

There is another worm in this can: issue #268
  Waf uses current date and time breaking repro builds