Documentation request/opportunity

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 13 19:58:09 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
>> I think we need a chart/table showing the types of packets we send
>> and expect to receive.
> How about the RFC?  I would hate to duplicate that.

No, that's not what I'm looking for.

We only implement a subset of the full spec.  For example, we don't implement
the peer stuff.  I think that's 2 packet types.

The RFC is pages and pages.  I'm looking for the one page (or less) summary.
A pointer to the right section in the RFC might be appropriate.

Context/background:  There is a two dimensional table used in the input
packet processing.  I think we can clean that up by eliminating the table.
This is tangled up with broadcast and friends and we removed some of that but
I'm not sure exactly sure what is or should be left so I'd like some
documentation of what is currently supported.

The current code for the pool stuff, sends request packets when it gets the
DNS answer.  When the reply comes back, it sets up the peer slot.  If the
server doesn't respond, there is never any peer slot setup.  That same path
also sets up broadcast clients, but I think we don't support that any more.

I think that table goes away if the pool stuff sets up the peer slot before
it sends the first request.  That means response processing is a simple as
look for the peer and drop anything that doesn't match.