Kernel PLL, from IRC

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Sep 28 22:44:53 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:38:58 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> >>  New samples arrive every second.
> > No.  Twice a second.  But now you are confusing the PPS with the
> > PLL.
>
> PPS is pulse per second.  There is only 1 pulse each second.  Where
> is the other data coming from?

Two edges per pulse, one pulse per second.  And if the system clock is
running a bit slow it will miss many PPS.  chronyd slews the clock
up to 8.5, so you thn miss a lot of pulses.

> Are you thinking of the other edge?  ntpd disables collecting data on
> the unused edge.

I hope not.  gpsd sure uses the information from both edges, if it
can get it.  But the bigger problem is the missed PPS.

> > And a LOT more jitter.
>
> I think you have jumped from my theoretical description of 2 options
> to an experiment with real data.  What change did you make?

Already discussed at great length on gpsd, and easily demonstrated with
ntpshmmon.  When you start missing edges your time quality degrades.