How much do we care about high-load scenarios?

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Fri Sep 16 07:23:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:40:57PM -0500, Dan Drown wrote:

> This page from cloudflare does a nice job of describing the limitations of a
> single process UDP receive model:
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/how-to-receive-a-million-packets/
>
> The limit they hit with their hardware was around 370kpps (with a single
> process receive), which is a lot of NTP.

I wanted to bring this up too, and that page has some important
points if you want to improve performance.

> From my own testing with iperf high rate 64 byte UDP packets, max rate
> before 1% receive packet loss:
>
> i3-540 / Intel 82574L nic: ~469kpps
> Athlon(tm) 64 X2 4400+ / RTL8168 gig nic: ~64kpps
> Odroid C2: ~62kpps
> Raspberry Pi 2: ~19kpps
> Beaglebone Black: ~9kpps
> Raspberry Pi B+: ~4kpps

Is there a way to make this ntp packets, or where those ntp
packets?

My guess is that you'll have plenty of CPU to process the maximum
packets the nic can handle.  Once you add crypto this might change
slightly.

Kurt