-g screqup (from IRC)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Sep 12 21:15:05 UTC 2016

[to get clock-step logging]
> Can you tell me which logging?  Then I can test for this case.

It's part of:
  logconfig =syncall +clockall +peerall +sysall
I think it's in sysall, but I'm not sure.

---------

>> The -g switch is supposed to be very simple.  It allows a large
>> initial step. Other than that, it shouldn't do anything.
> Sadly, simple things have bad consequences.  See all my previous posts about
> nntpd bad startup behavior.

I'm not saying that there aren't problems, but blaming them on -g doesn't
make sense.

If -g really is causing troubles, then we need a test case.

> >                      | "killall ntpd; sleep 1; ntpd -N -g"=20
> RasPis do not have CMOS clocks.  So the startup step is huge.
Your recipe was from the command line.  That is not the startup case.
(unless the ntpd that you are killing never got started, or something like
that)