NTPsec's longer-term objectives

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Sep 12 08:18:08 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Going forward, one of the improvements I intend to pursue is moving
> everything in the suite other than ntpd itself into Python.  I'd move ntpd,
> too, if it were practical, but Python's virtues do not include being any
> good for realtime work.

It's worth considering writing something like a ntp-lite in Python.  It would
probably take a handful of shims to get at OS calls that Python doesn't
support directly.

Consider a client-only, no refclocks implementation.  The timing  parts are't
that tricky.  The OS provides a receive time stamp.  On transmit, we could
grab the time before and after the interesting chunk of code and add the
difference to the error budget or try again if it is too big.