Steak and sizzle

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Oct 30 20:47:08 UTC 2016

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> I think ntpmon might be it.  "Look! Real-time status updates! Color!
> Animation!" OK, animation only in the crudest possible sense, but
> human beings undeniably do respond to this sort of thing.

Hmm.  What exactly does it buy me over running 'watch -n 5 ntpq …' with
the rest of the command line suitably crafted, maybe running that in a
few tmux panes?  I'd think that getting this ntpmon thing to do
_something_ is easily done, but there's a long, deep rabbithole down to
where it can do everything everybody would want from it.  If ntpd grew a
way to hand me the data I'm interested in in some easily parseable
format it'd probably be much more useful than an ntpmon that does
almost, but not quite what I want.

Regards,
Achim.