Steak and sizzle

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Oct 28 07:07:26 UTC 2016

> So...what else would it be interesting to watch and update in real time?

In general, stuff doesn't change fast enough for a real-time display to be
interesting.  Most of the time, all that's going to change is the when column.

It might be interesting to be able to display internal data from refclocks.
That's a whole nother can of worms.  Do we want to open that before the 1.0
release?

There is a bunch of stuff I'd like to be able to see easily but isn't worth
permanent screen space.  The obvious one is the version of ntpd.  Others
would include
  ntpd distro version and kernel version.
  uptime and load averages.
  Temperature from wherever you can get it (CPU, disk, refclock...).
That all probably fits on a reasonable chunk of screen space.  But it's easy
to break up if it gets too big.

Other options would include the last N lines of ntpd.log or loopstats, or
peerstats, ...

Or the last few lines of peerstats/rawstats/clockstats for a selected
server/refclock

It might be interesting to watch the top of the mrulist.  Abusive clients
stand out if you do something like:
  ntpq -nc "mru mincount=1000 sort=avgint"
For a live display, mrulist probably needs something like "just give me the
first N slots".  But I think the sort is done by ntpq so that would have to
be pushed into ntpd.