ntpviz - Don't plot a line during data absence

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Oct 23 20:00:25 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 12:08:40 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> jason at azze.org said:
> > In the interest of keeping longer technical discussions on the
> > devel list, we have this:
>
> Thanks.
>
> > <gemiller> hmm, some people use up to poll 1024, I could preprocess
> > the plot file so that any gap longer than 1024 seconds does not get
> > a connecting line.  Sound good?  Or would people prefer to see just
> > dots first?
>
> If the polling interval is X, there may be up to 8X gaps in peerstats.

Ah, lost me.  Say what?

> I think it helps to avoid the long lines across missing data.

Another vote for the new patch.

> Lines vs points is an interesting tangle.

Yes, easy to change, but looks terrible to me, and everyone I showed
it too.

> I haven't found a good way to automate the decision process.  I've
> been doing it by hand.

You said similar on the plot clipping.  Have you looked at the new --clip
option?  Does that look good to you?  Maybe something to tweak.

> A config file to guide that might be
> interesting.  It could also specify which graphs to plot and/or what
> to put on a graph.

If you run ntpviz with the new -D 2 option, the plot files then are
left in your system temp directory.  Yuu can then trivially edit them.
Say change 'with lines' to 'with linespoints'.  If you can some up with
a 'more pleasing' graph I can make it an option.