Proposal - drop the GPSD JSON driver

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Oct 22 13:21:59 UTC 2016

> >> I assume that using a pipe or socket rather than SHM would fix that.
>
> > Probably, but then we run unto buffering jitter again.
>
> Are we on the same wavelength yet?  Have we agreed that latency is not
> critical?  If so, why is jitter important?

It is possible that I am confused.

What ntpd gets from a clock source is a series of pairs asserting
"at system time X I believe it was UTC time Y".

Are you telling me there is no value in minimizing the time from X to when
the sample triggers a correction, and the variation in that time?

Basic servocontrol theory tells me that control lag is the enemy of
precision and tends to produce whiplash effects.  Does that not apply here?