Proposal - drop the GPSD JSON driver

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Oct 20 07:10:56 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 00:02:38 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> > So, a shared memory driver for ntpd?
>
> It already has one.

Not a POSIX sharde memory one.  And the exsting one has serious
problems.

>  I think the one it has would be as good as we
> need if not for the fact that that version of SHM is obsolete and
> unstandardized.

Say what?  The existing protocol has serious problems.

> > > I don't think either is going to match the performance of a
> > > shared-memory drop.
> >
> > So, we all vote for JSON in POSIX SHM?
>
> I don't.  I think this is one of the very rare cases where passing a
> C struct as a binary blob makes sense.  We want to minimize offset
> and jitter and there's no cross-architecture problem.

Oh, please not!  That is one of the big problems in the existing driver.
Way too compiler, CPU and OS dependent.  Plus not extensible.  The
exsting C struct has been nothing but problems.  Maybe you don't buy into
JSON, but the C struct is a non-starter.