ntpq: cruft/doc

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Oct 16 20:37:29 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 03:27:54 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> I think it's nice if the columns line up.  The only time that I
> remember recently when the current stuff didn't work is that you
> can't see what's going on when the offset is less than a microsecond.

Yeah, it is nice when they line up, but much of the time either almost
all the precision is lost for a local refclock, or the 8 digits
of precision is pointless for a WAN pool chimer.

And I can't count the number of times people have asked me what the
units are because they can't figure it out.  You should not have to read
pages of docc to find the current units.

Check out chronyc, they do a lot of things much better than ntpq.