ntpq: cruft/doc

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Oct 15 00:35:16 UTC 2016

The first question is What does "mobilize" mean?

The context for that is the difference between peers and lpeers.

The normal peers command skips peer slots that aren't yet mobilized.  I've
never figured out why that was interesting.  If you are trying to debug the
pool command, that is likely to confuse things.  Unless you know enough to
use lpeers, you are likely to think the problem is no DNS rather than
server-not-responding.

There are several variations on the peers command.  The opeers prints out the
local address rather than the refid.  apeers prints out the refid in hex so
it can squeze in the assocID which is useful for other command.

There is an l version of peers and opeers.  There is no l version of apeers.

My vote would be to  always print non-mobilized slots and drop the l
versions.  But that is a user visible change in the UI/API.

If preserving old patterns is more important than sane operations, I'd
suggest that the non-l versions print out a warning if they skip any slots.
(But that changes the UI too.)

There is similar pattern with (l)associations and (l)passociations.

Nit: there are some typos in docs/includes/ntpq-body.txt for the peers
commands.