Bug 119, ntpdig doesn't do IPv6, fixed

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Oct 2 18:37:18 UTC 2016

A little tracing with gdb found this one.  It wasn't a deep bug at
all; Hal typoed a capability test in ntpdig, leaving out a '!'.

This is the sort of silly mistake even very skilled, very careful
people occasionally make. I myelf am certainly not immune; I seem to
do this sort of thing about once every 90 days.  If anything, Hal has
a better safety record than me (and is the one person most likely to
notice my mistakes before I do).

I suspect the reason Hal didn't catch this and fix it instantly is
that he is, like the rest of us, really focused on ntpd.  And thus didn't
think to test ntpdig when he modified it.

Take a lesson, everybody. It's the tests you don't run that'll hurt you.

We are now once again without showstopper bugs.  Of course, I still
have to re-merge the new protocol machine...

See, when the GOVERNMENT spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money
is left in the hands of TAXPAYERS, God only knows what they do with it.  Bake
it into pies, probably.  Anything to avoid creating jobs.	-- Dave Barry