Why do we have an "includes" directory in docs ?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Nov 29 16:00:57 UTC 2016

Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0 at gmail.com>:
> Before I struggle with asciidoc, is there a reason for the files in
> "includes"?  Most are sourced only once, they could be inlined.  Is this to
> help with the man pages?

For many of them that is it. Anything with "body" in it is a manual-page
body.  These are included once in a small wrapper file with a "Name"
section to generate the manual page. and once in a more elaborate wrapper
(typically including a Pogo cartoon) somewhere else in the docs/ directory,
which is used to generate the website documentation.