ntpd broken on ARM

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 28 18:46:48 UTC 2016

Stromeko at nexgo.de said:
> I avoid the use of debuggers whenever possible, so I can't comment (that's a
> habit I got into when maintaining some large-scale numerical simulation
> codes and it stuck…).

It seems like the right tool for this problem.  What I need is a stack trace
from a crash.

Is there a reasonable way to get a stack trace from a signal handler?  All I
need is the number of the syscall that is getting trapped.

Or for a running program to take a core dump so I can look at it later on?  I
haven't managed to get one out of systemd.

> Sounds strange.  Any easily followed recipe to demonstrate what you are
> seeing?

gdb /usr/local/sbin/ntpd
break main
run -n -u ntp:ntp

For me, on ARM, that crashes before it gets to the breakpoint.