More Python quirks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Nov 19 07:55:24 UTC 2016

Background for Devel...

I mostly work with Fedora.  It's default python search path (sys.path)
doesn't include /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages where our libraries
get installed.

Things mostly work if you run
  export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages

I don't know how to set up cleanly.  If I put it in my .bashrc, it doesn't
work for root.  Maybe it should go in /etc/profile.d/  Mumble.  But that's
not the current problem.

--------

I'm getting confused again (still?).  It may be simple, but not until I know
the answer.

I was trying to fix the version string so that the one from ntpq would match
the one from ntpd.
It seemed to ignore my edits.

I put a "barf" in the new code to make sure I was getting there.  It didn't
go off.

I think the problem was that it finds the compiled stuff off in
$build/main/pylib, but can't find the source do do a check, so it runs the
old compiled versions.  That was because I didn't run waf build 'cause I
didn't think I needed it.  I expected python to automagically rebuild the
compiled versions.  Will that get fixed if you add a sym link back to the
source?

After waf build, I got this.

[murray at glypnod ntpq]$ ./ntpq --version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./ntpq", line 34, in <module>
    version = ntp.util.stdversion()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ntp/util.py", line 16, in
stdversion
    def stdversion():
NameError: global name 'barf' is not defined
[murray at glypnod ntpq]$

Note that the traceback printout is finding the installed source rather than
the local version with the "barf" in it.