Please exercise ntpq, I just refactored it

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 14 21:46:24 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> How about setting up a simple script that at least tries all of the
commands.
> Hm. All it could detect is crashes.  Time-varying output pretty scotches any
> prospect of real regression testing.

Yes, but it has a good chance of catching a large class of simple bugs.

In hindsight, I'm a bit surprised something like that isn't on your checklist
already.  We should do it with all the programs we build and again after we
install things.  If nothing else, it will verify that the libraries are
linked correctly.  The simple case would print out the version.

It might be useful to have (or have waf build) a script that does the post
install tests - something an admin could run after a system upgrade.

We should have a config file that tests all the options for ntpd.  It would
need a command line switch so that it doesn't actually try to run anything.
How about --check?  That might be handy anyway.  You could use it to check
your changes to ntp.conf before restarting ntpd.