(new) ntpq peers hangs

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 8 06:16:55 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> ntpq sometimes hangs.  I assume it's due to a DNS problem.
> Probably.  I saw occasional hangs in the C version, too, and assumed that
> was what caused them.

Depends on what you mean by "hang".  The DNS lookup can a take long time to
give up.  The problem I'm chasing takes longer than that.

>> What do I type to python to use it as a debugger?
> https://docs.python.org/2/library/pdb.html

What I was expecting was that ^C would get me to the debugger so I could get
a stack track.  It doesn't seem to work that way.  Or I missed a key step, or
...  It gets me to the debugger, but the stack is garbage.

If a python program is hung, how do I find out where?

There is another bug/quirk in ntpq.  In interactive mode, it needs a ^C
catcher.