Python ntpq lands - what to do next?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Nov 5 19:06:21 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> (Hal, I tested and it works both in-tree without installation and out of
> tree after waf install. If you still have an environment-specific problem
> we'll fix that.)

It's broken for me.

[murray at glypnod ntpq]$ ./ntpq
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./ntpq", line 17, in <module>
    from ntp.packet import *
  File "/home/murray/ntpsec/play/ntpq/ntp/packet.py", line 16, in <module>
    from ntpc import lfptofloat
ImportError: No module named ntpc
[murray at glypnod ntpq]$

That's with no PYTHONPATH.

There is a link in pylib:
   ntpc.so -> ../build/main/libntp/ntpc.so
I don't have a build directory.

I assume waf configure should setup that link.

-----------

I haven't figured out what's going on here.

[110/137] Compiling VERSION
error: No repo or cache detected.

 -> task in '/home/murray/ntpsec/play/pylib/version.py' failed with exit
status 1 (run with -v to display more information)

-rw-rw-r-- 1 murray murray     0 Nov  5 11:42 version.py

What I'm doing is building on a system without git after rsyncing from my
main system.  The rsync step excludes as much as I can, mostly .waf and .git

How is this new version stuff going to work from a tarball?

After build, there are things like statfiles.pyc in pylib/
Is that the right place for them?  Why are they not in build/main/pylib/ in
parallel with the other compiler output?