Impact of ARP lookup on local NTP traffic

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 31 00:34:09 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> I have changed some "server" statements to "minpoll 4".  That changes the
> NTP polling interval from 64 seconds to 32 seconds.  Since an ARP entry is
> elligible for eviction at 60 seconds that is a nice cushion.

Either one of us can't count or there is a typo in there.

2 to the 4th is 16 rather than 32.

There is probably a kernel parameter you can tweak to make arp entries last
longer.  I didn't find a simple answer with a quick search.  You can lock arp
entries.  I haven't tried it recently.

If I was going to experiment with this, I'd use a pair of machines that
weren't talking to each other (via NTP or whatever) and use ping and ip neigh
or arp from the command line.

I haven't found a simple way to print out the timer from the command line.