Accounts on my bastion host for test farm access

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 24 08:32:42 UTC 2016

> I'm missing something.  What is that hub for?  Are you using it to power all
> the Pi-s?

Yes.  I had been using a tiny 4-port unpowered hub, and seeing
occasional failures that looked like the Pis might not always be
getting the amperage they needed. They were sporadic and I might have
been willing to live with them, but I was going to run out of USB
ports when the next two machines arrived, anyway.

So rather than spending a lot of effort on further diagnostics I hit the
problem with a hammer.

Mark has been recommending Anker to me at Penguicon; I really should
have known better than to go cheap, but at that point I was still hoping
to hold the test-farm budget below the level where I'd have to apply to LF
for reimbursement.  That hope vanished when I realized that the Odroid
and BeagleBone meant I would have to buy another Ethernet switch even if
I didn't get the second Pi3 I weanted for ntp.conf comparisons.

And I *never* go cheap on Ethernet switches - I've learned the hard way not to.