[gpsd-dev] Much was accomplished today at Asylum House

Mike bellyacres at gmail.com
Mon May 23 03:18:53 UTC 2016

On 05/22/2016 02:02 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote
> The thing of possible GPSD interest we learned is that the SKU 424254,
> that no-name GPS HAT from China, has a serious flaw.  The trace that
> should deliver 1PPS from the u-blox module to GPIO05 is *absent*.
> This is not a simple manufacturing error; we were able to find a link
> to its schematics and the trace is missing there, too.  Which is
> *weird* because the vendor page advertises that export heavily.
>
> After some scope work that would have been utterly beyond my
> competence (though I am learning) Phil was able to blue-wire the board
> to do the right thing. I will document this in the Microserver HOWTO
> and send the vendor a nastygram that leaves them no excuse not to fix
> it.

Does anyone know if this is a product produced somewhere else too?  I
also looked at the schematic referenced from the dx.com site and was
stymied by the lack of a connection to the header. Even though it
clearly stated that is was hooked up.  I have ordered through DX many
times, typically expecting that most of the stuff is poor clones or
counterfeits of someone Else's design.  Certainly a cause of frustration
if one isn't aware of it.

I forgot to look and see if there was a post in the user forums about
this issue.  Many times it helps to get attention and let others know
there of problems like these.

Mike