Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up

Mike bellyacres at gmail.com
Mon May 23 02:57:55 UTC 2016

On 05/20/2016 10:10 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I now have, at
>
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/stratum-1-microserver-howto/

May 21 03:51:04 3142 ntpd[2472]: restrict default: KOD does nothing
without LIMITED.
May 21 03:51:05 3142 ntpd[2472]: restrict ::: KOD does nothing without
LIMITED.

The example ntp.conf needs limited added to the restrict line.

tick.apple.com appears to be a really bad chimer...  At least for me in
Ohio.  Running for 24 hours or so now and its' reach has never been 377.

Would also prefer to do the security stuff first.  Thin down packages
etc. before upgrading things I'm going to axe anyway.

If I follow the given directions for adding user "me" is it possible to
preserve the git pulls of gpsd and ntpsec?  Then move them to the newly
created "me" home directory?  This possibly isn't an issue for many.  I
have to watch bandwidth some as we are on a quota type connection.  Also
really seems silly to pull something again minutes after I've already
done it.

Mike